November10: World Science Day for Peace and Development
- Proclaimed by the UNESCO in 2001.
- 2020 Theme: Science for and with Society
- Strengthen public awareness of the role of science for peaceful and sustainable societies;
- Promote national and international solidarity for shared science between countries;
- Renew national and international commitment for the use of science for the benefit of societies;
- Draw attention to the challenges faced by science in raising support for the scientific endeavor.
- This year, at a time when the world is struggling with the global COVID-19 pandemic, the focus of World Science Day is on “Science for and with Society in dealing with the global pandemic.”
- UNESCO is organizing an online roundtable on the theme of “Science for and with Society in dealing with COVID-19.” Join the conversation with the hashtags #ScienceDay.
November10: Ernst Otto Fischer’s Birthday
Ernst Otto Fischer
- German chemist Fischer is a co-recipient of the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1973 with British scientist Geoffrey Wilkinson for his identification of a completely new way in which metals and organic substances can combine.
- Fischer studied ferrocene and determined that it consisted of a single iron atom sandwiched between two five-sided carbon rings. He was successful in synthesizing dibenzolchrome from CrCl3 and C6H6 in presence of AlCl3 and came up with a procedure of synthesis of the arene derivatives.